Whether we talk about the books written by George R.R. Martin or the TV series that everyone keeps raving about, Game of Thrones is undoubtedly awesome. It has become a cult of some sort, where people of all ages enjoy the TV show in spite of the violence and nudity in it.
You may think you know enough about GoT (and maybe that Khaleesi will be the ultimate winner), here are some interesting facts about GoT:
1. George R. R. Martin’s idea of Game of Thrones began with his pet turtles. As a child he imagined them to be knights and kings who took over each other’s kingdoms and made up stories about them.
2. In Game of Thrones when Daenerys Targaryen arrives at Meereen, a champion sent to insult her is actually saying a French taunt, “your mother was a hamster” from the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, translated into Valryian.
3. There was an unaired pilot episode of Game of Thrones that was directed by Spotlight director Tom McCarthy which will never see the light of the day.
4. A character in GoT was created and killed because George R.R Martin lost a bet that the Giants would finish ahead of the Cowboys in football.
5. A total of 13 actors from the Harry Potter series have appeared in Game of Thrones at different intervals.
6. When David Benioff and D.B. Weiss were interested in developing “Game of Thrones” into a television series, they had a five-hour-long meeting with George R.R. Martin. He asked them a question which they had to correctly guess the answer to. The question was, “Who is Jon Snow’s mother?”
7. For Cersei Lannister’s famous “Walk of Shame” episode, a body double was used. Over 1,000 women applied for the role which eventually went to an American actress named Rebecca Van Cleave.
8. The “Wildfyre” in GoT is inspired by “Greek Fire” used by the 6th century Byzantine Empire. The fire burned on water and was sprayed on to enemy ships with pressurized nozzles. It was really dangerous and a guarded secret. No one knows how they achieved it.
9. The uber-popular Game of Thrones books are written in DOS using WordStar 4.0 by George R. R. Martin. WordStar is a word processor that dominated the markets in the mid-1980s.
10. The languages of Game of Thrones – Dothraki and Valyrian are heard by more people than the Welsh, Irish Gaelic and Scots Gaelic combined.
11. British singer Lily Allen’s 2007 song, “Alfie” is about her lazy pothead brother and how she wants him to do something in his life. Alfie Allen is none other than Theon Greyjoy in HBO’s Game of Thrones.
12. The actress who plays the role of Talisa in the series, Oona Chaplin is legend Charlie Chaplin’s great-granddaughter.
13. Game of Thrones is filmed in the same studio that the Titanic was built it – the actual RMS Titanic that sank in 1912.
14. The Night’s Watch cloaks in the Game of Thrones series are made out of 79-dollar Ikea rugs. Yes, Jon Snow’s too.
15. The reason why Cersei Lannister and Bronn are never seen in the same scene together is because they once used to date and had a terrible breakup. They got stipulations inserted into their contracts that state that they can’t be made to act in the same scene together.
When Queen Elizabeth visited the set of GoT, she refused to sit on the Iron Throne because of a law disallowing her to sit on any other foreign throne.
Did you know any of these facts? Tell us in the comments!