Oprah Winfrey, who is known for her powerful personality and how she has sailed through all the storms in her life received Golden Globes’ annual Cecil B. DeMille award for lifetime achievement. Her acceptance speech was a beautiful one – full of inspiration and a fire to fight for equality.
— Josh Sánchez (@jnsanchez) January 8, 2018
Here are 7 quotes from her speech that were simply amazing:
1. “His tie was white, his skin was black—and he was being celebrated. I’d never seen a black man being celebrated like that. I tried many, many times to explain what a moment like that means to a little girl, a kid watching from the cheap seats as my mom came through the door bone tired from cleaning other people’s houses. But all I can do is quote and say that the explanation in Sidney’s performance in Lilies of the Field: “Amen, amen, amen, amen.””
2. “What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have.”
3. “Each of us in this room are celebrated because of the stories that we tell, and this year we became the story. ”
4. “So I want tonight to express gratitude to all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue. They’re the women whose names we’ll never know. They are domestic workers and farm workers. They are working in factories and they work in restaurants and they’re in academia, engineering, medicine, and science. They’re part of the world of tech and politics and business. They’re our athletes in the Olympics and they’re our soldiers in the military.”
5. “…She lived as we all have lived, too many years in a culture broken by brutally powerful men. For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men. But their time is up. Their time is up.”
6. “I’ve interviewed and portrayed people who’ve withstood some of the ugliest things life can throw at you, but the one quality all of them seem to share is an ability to maintain hope for a brighter morning, even during our darkest nights.”
7. “And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say ‘Me too’ again.”
It brings shivers down the spine when she says – their time is up.
Preview Photo: vogue.com