Yash Chopra was one of the most prominent directors in Bollywood and often called as the ‘King of Romance’. He was the owner of one of the biggest production houses in India, Yash Raj Films.
He was a versatile person and along with being a director, he was also a scriptwriter and a producer. He passed away on October 21, 2012 due to dengue. Here some interesting shades of his life:
1) Yash Chopra never even dreamed of pursuing his life in cinema and direction. Yash Chopra started his career with a social drama film called ‘Dhool Ke Phool’. He originally wanted to go in engineering.
2) After making so many films along with his brother Baldev Raj Chopra, he ventured into his independent production house in the year of 1971 called ‘Yash Raj Films’.
3) A train was named after Yash Chopra in Switzerland as the director has shot many movies in the mountainous country of Europe. Jungfrau railways in Switzerland gave him this honour that only one another person – Adolf Guyer- the founder of railways, has.
4) Yash Chopra could not see his last movie Jab Tak Hai Jaan, starring Shahrukh Khan, Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif. Chopra directed this movie but died during the production of the film.
5) Yash Chopra’s hit Silsila, could have had Smita Patil and Parveen Babi but his original choices were Jaya Bachchan and Rekha. Chopra conveyed his dilemma to Amitabh Bachchan, and he did not have any problem with the casting, so they went ahead with this and Silsila became a hit classic.
6) The original title of the film ‘Veer-Zaara’ was going to be ‘Yeh Kahaan Aa Gaye Hum’ which is the name of a song in movie Silsila.
7) Yash Chopra was the one who saw the vision in today’s great lyricist Javed Akhtar. He encouraged Javed Akhtar to take up lyric writing, roping him in for Silsila.
8) Yash Chopra’s favourite casting was with Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan and Shashi Kapoor.