Naseeruddin Shah was born either on July 20, 1949 or on August 16, 1950. As per Wikipedia, he suspects the later date was used only for his official school records. He might actually be a year older than we think he is.
Shah is a renowned Indian actor and a very famous face in the Indian cinema. The 67 year old actor has won several awards and accolades like Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan award for his contribution to Indian cinema. Naseeruddin Shah is known in the industry for his dialogue delivery and intense acting skills.
1. Naseeruddin Shah is married to actress Ratna Pathak. The couple met in the early 1970’s and after a 12 year long affair the duo got married in 1982. The couple has two kids Imaad Shah and Vivaan Shah.
However his first marriage was with actress Surekha Sikri’s step-sister, Manara Sikri (also known as Parveen Murad). He was 19 then and Murad was almost double his age. The marriage did not work out and they were separated as she did not agree for a divorce, bargaining for a huge alimony which Shah could not afford back then. For 12 years, Shah was not allowed to set eyes on their daughter Heeba as Murad took her and relocated to Iran.
Ratna Pathak and Shah could not get married even though Muslim law permits bigamy, so they began living together. It was only in 1981 that Murad agreed to a reduced alimony. Soon after, Murad died of cancer which explained her demand for money. She left the custody of Heeba to her brother in Iran. It was only after Heeba came to India as an adult that Shah could meet her. Heeba is an aspiring actress and now lives with Naseeruddin Shah.
2. Naseeruddin Shah made his debut in director Shyam Benegal’s 1975 movie ‘Nishant’ which won the actor a national award, alongside the film was also nominated for the Oscars.
3. Shah’s wife Ratna Pathak and Pankaj Kapur’s wife Supriya Pathak are sisters. Shah and Kapur have acted over more than 10 films together.
4. Shah has also given his presence in Pakistani films like Khuda Ke Liye, playing a short cameo. Shah’s second Pakistani film was Zinda Bhaag which was selected as the official entry to the 86th Academy Awards for the best foreign language film award. He has been awarded the life membership of International Film and Television Club and of Asian Academy Of Film And Television.
5. Shah is the brother of Lt. Gen. Zameer Uddin Shah, Former Deputy Chief Of The Army Staff, former member of Armed Forces Tribunal and former Vice-Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). AMU is where Shah graduated from as well.
Shah is also the descendant of Sayyid Afghan warlod Jan-Fishan Khan (Sayyid Muhammad Shah) who participated in the First Anglo-Afghan war and aided the British in the Indian rebellion of 1857.
Preview Photo: indianexpress.com