Akshay Kumar – the actor who has won the hearts of millions of Indians in the country and abroad. We bring you things from his life that are very interesting.
While we seem to know a lot about the star whose movies become blockbusters without needing to release during a festival or a holiday, here are some things about the actor’s life that you might not know:
1. Akshay Kumar was born in India but he is a Canadian. He has a Canadian passport. Nobody knows how – the rumour mill is abuzz with stories that he was offered a Canadian citizenship and he simply accepted it, giving up his Indian passport. Nobody knows the truth.
2. Kumar was born as Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia on September 9, 1967 to his parents, Hari Om Bhatia and Aruna Bhatia is Amritsar. So why did he change his name? This question was unanswered until recently in March, Kumar himself answered this question. He said that Kumar Gaurav, the yesteryear’s actor was the reason behind the name change. His first film, very he had just a 4.5 second role was Aaj (1987). This movie had actor Kumar Gaurav in the lead role and his character’s name was ‘Akshay’. Having been inspired by Gaurav and his acting, Akshay Kumar went ahead and changed his name at a court in Bandra East.
3. Did you know Kumar has a black belt in Taekwondo? He also went to Bangkok to learn Muay Thai – a form of martial arts. That explains the amazing stunts he does in his films.
4. Once Kumar got back to Mumbai, he began teaching marital arts. One of his students, suggested that he should take up modelling and once he tried it, he decided to take it up. Later on, he worked as an assistant to photographer Jayesh Sheth because he didn’t have enough money to get a portfolio shoot done. Kumar has also worked as a waiter and a chef while he was in Bangkok and as a background dancer is some films.
5. His first break in Bollywood was in the film Deedar. How did he bag this role? Because he missed a flight! Kumar missed a flight Bangalore for an ad shoot. Disappointed, he went to a film studio with his portfolio. The next thing we know – he was cast in the film Deedar by producer Pramod Chakravarthy. Deedar released in 1992. However his first appearance in a movie was as the lead actor opposite Raakhee and Shantipriya in Saugandh (1991).
Kumar has also received the highest Japanese honour of ‘Katana’ and a sixth degree black belt in Kuyukai Gōjū-ryū karate. Also, he received an honorary doctorate law degree from the University of Windsor, Canada.
He is married to actress Twinkle Khanna and has two children, Aarav and Nitara.
A unique thing about Akshay Kumar as an actor is he has been spreading a message of awareness on various social issues through his movies. His recent film, Toilet – Ek Prem Katha highlighted the issue of open defecation. His other films like Rustom, Airlift, Holiday, Baby, Jolly LLB 2, Special 26, Oh My God etc. revolve around topics of nationality, justice and anti-superstition. He has also played comic roles in various movies like the Hera Pheri series, the Housefull series, Singh is King series and more.
Ahead of his birthday last year, Kumar chooses to release the poster of his upcoming movie, ‘Gold’ and wrote, “Through every passing year, I understood life a bit better. Through every film of mine, I learned something new. They say every cloud has a silver lining, but the way I got love from my well wishers, my dreams met their destination and my clouds got a lining of Gold. As my age #TurnsGold, here’s presenting the poster of Gold, a film extremely close to my heart.”
His next movie, Padman, is releasing on January 26, 2018. It is based on true story about how a man brought about a sanitary pad revolution in an Indian village.
Such an interesting life!