M.F. Husain – the famous artist who passed away in 2011, was born on September 17. Today, we celebrate his 102nd birthday by talking about 5 shades of his life.
Cocktail Zindagi Network
This article celebrates Maqbool Fida Husain’s 5 best works, while telling you 5 things about his life which aren’t very well known.
1. Maqbool Fida Husain’s family was originally from Yemen and had their roots in Gujarat since the last two centuries. He was born in Pandharpur, Maharashtra in 1915.
2. We have all heard about the famous artist – Pablo Picasso. It is said that M.F. Husain was a special invitee along with Picasso at Brazil’s Sao Paulo event in 1971. M.F. Husain is often addressed as the Picasso of India.
3. He is known to have painted over 25000 different artworks in his lifetime! Some of his famous works are given below. But do you know how he started off? He used to paint hoardings in Mumbai and also worked at a toy factory.
4. He was given in Padma Bhushan award in 1973. That is not all! In 1986 he was also nominated to the Rajya Sabha. So far, the highest price he was paid for his painting is $1.6 million in 2008.
5. Not many know that Husain was also into films. He made his first movie in 1967 which was known as ‘Through The Eyes Of The Painter’. It is known to many that Madhuri Dixit was Husain’s muse. He also made a movie Gaja Gamini as a tribute to her. Further he made a film with Tabu titled, Meenaxi : Tale Of Three Cities.
M.F. Husain was surrounded by controversies and court cases for his nude paintings about Hindu Gods and Goddesses. He lived in a self-imposed exile from 2006 until his death.
Here are some of his best works: