Padmavati starring Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapur and Ranveer Singh is all set to release on December 1st. Directed by the famous Bollywood director who believes in re-creating history on screen, Sanjay Leela Bhansali has found himself in a lot of controversy.
Since the time the movie is in production it has been facing problems – an array of them.
Let us see how the events have unfolded and how this film has become one of the most controversial movies of all time:
1) In the year of 2016, a crew member of the film – a painter named Mukesh Dakia suffered a head injury on the sets of the film and died. After Bhansali was issued a notice by Film Studio Setting and Allied Mazdoor Union, director paid Rs 23 lakhs to the deceased’s family.
2) A Rajput organization, Shree Rajput Karni Sena stated that the filmmakers are tampering with the historical facts, by depicting scenes between Khilji and Rani Padmini. Sena accused the filmmakers of hurting their sentiments and destroyed their sets in Jaipur, assaulting Sanjay Leela Bhansali and tearing off his shirt.
3) Bhansali, after that clarified that there is no such distortion of the historical facts and called of the shoot in Jaipur. Shree Rajput Karni Sena, destroyed the mirrors in Jaipur’s Padmini Mahal, where the image of Padmavati was reflected for Sultan Alauddin Khilji’s viewing.
5) Once again in Kohlapur, the film set was torched and the animals, majorly horses, were rescued and sent to a safe location. Costumes, accessories etc. were also burnt down. Later, Maharashtra’s Home Minister of State, Deepak V Kesarkar said that Bhansali had himself refused for the night security.
6) Lokendra Singh Kalvi said that his organization will oppose the film if it hurts the sentiments of the Rajput caste. He also alleged that the facts were changed.
7) After the trailer of Padmavati was released, some BJP leaders wrote to the Election Commission seeking a ban on the film’s release date, due to the Gujarat Assembly Elections stating that it will hurt the sentiments of the Kshatriya and Rajput communities for its ‘wrong depiction of history’.
8) Karni Sena began protesting the film in Rajasthan in full swing. There fewer chances that the film might release in Rajasthan. Another Brahmin Organization, Sarv Brahmin Mahasabha opposes the film, refuses to tolerate distortion of historical facts.
9) Sanjay leela Bhansali posts a video on social media, clearly stating that he has made the film in mind with keeping lots of respect and dignity for all the communities, has taken care of everyone and it will not hurt anyone’s sentiments. He also clarified that there is no dream sequence between Rani Padmini and Khilji.
10) Arjun Gupta of BJP, addresses a letter to Home Minister Rajnath Singh, that Padmavati’s director should to tried for treason as he has distorted the historical facts. Rajasthan government will watch the film and then decide what should be done. Supreme Court refused to put a ban on the release of the film, the Apex Court said that it cannot interfere as the CBFC has to yet certify the film.
11) Karni Sena destroyed a theatre in Kota for showing a trailer of Padmavati. The Sena broke the window panes, ticket counter and other furniture.
12) Karni Sena announced a ‘Bharat Bandh’ on 1st December. Rajput Sena Chief has announced a bounty of Rs 1 crore, for whoever chops of the nose of leading actress in the movie Deepika Padukone. Bounties from different political parties have come of Rs 5 crore, for the ones who behead Bhansali and Padukone.
13) The actors of the film and director are provided security protection due to the strong protests. The film’s release date is pushed back from December 1 to an unknown day.
What do you think about Padmavati?