Dera chief’s quantum in jail is 20 years – his life turned 360 degrees after the pronouncement of the judgement against him. Here is how his life changed.
Samyak Sheth & Heer Khant
The CBI court has held the chief of the Dera Saccha Sauda, Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, as guilty of raping 2 of his former followers. Ram Rahim has been given 20 years of quantum in jail, his 3 murder trials are still pending and the quantum for those will be announced soon.
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh is a self proclaimed godman and witnessed a huge fan following across the country. Soon after the judgement, several states of Northern India were burning with riots with such an intensity that the defence forces had to be called in.
Before the rape case judgement, his life was full of glamour and power. Here are 5 things that show how his life WAS:
1) The Dera Saccha Sauda’s website describe their chief as ‘author’, ‘agriculturist’, ‘scientist’, ‘athlete’, ‘multi-lingual orator’, ‘scholar’, ‘director’, ‘musician’, and ‘de-addiction specialist’ describing the chief as ‘ Saint Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insaan’. The Dera has a mass following of above 5 crores across the whole country, and above 25 lakhs in Haryana. As chief back then, Ram Rahim enjoyed a lot of power. He was the chief since 1990.
2) The followers of the Dera Chief include Bollywood actors like Manisha Koirala cricketers like Virat Kohli, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Shikhar Dhawan, Yusuf Pathan and Praveen Kumar. The Indian boxer Vijender Singh when came in the limelight after being framed for taking drugs took help of the Dera Chief.
3) The Dera Chief is married to Harjeet Kaur, having two daughters, Charanpreet and Amanpreet, both married, and a son named Jasmeet. Son Jasmeet is married to the Congress MLA Harminder Jassi’s daughter, Husanmeet Kaur, currently now the Insan. Dera Chief has named Husanmeet as Honeypreet Insan. Honeypreet has played the role of heroine in the ‘Messenger of God’ films.
4) Ram Rahim acted in 5 movies in the last three years. This movies were all ‘blockbusters’ according to the reports. He received credits in 30 different film departments for these films! He had a sixth movie lined up named ‘Online Gurukul’ where he was to play 6 different roles, repeatedly.
5) In 2015, the Indian Express had placed Ram Rahim in the list of the 100 most powerful Indians of 2015.
After the verdict was passed on the Dera Chief and he was proved guilty, sentenced with the quantum of 20 years of rigorous imprisonment, Gurmeet Ram Rahim in his defence said that he has conducted so many blood donation camps.
The news that Ram Rahim pleaded and cried in court, asking for forgiveness went viral right after the judgement was announced. After the courtroom delivered the judgement, Ram Rahim refused constantly to get out of the courtroom, he had to be dragged by the police out of the court.
Here are 5 things about how his life IS:
1) For 15 days on, Ram Rahim had no visitors to see him in jail. It was only yesterday that his mother visited him for the first time. It is also a known fact that Ram Rahim demanded that his adopted daughter, Honeypreet be allowed to stay with him in jail – he only asked for her. Honeypreet went underground when slapped with a sedition case.
2) A doctor who examined him in jail said that he is a ‘sex addict’ and was now having withdrawal symptoms in jail. However the doctors say that he can be treated. A former Dera member had claimed that although Ram Rahim stopped the consumption of alcohol in 1988, he consumed energy drinks and sex tonics regularly which were specially imported for him.
3) An apex body of Hindu sadhus released a list of ‘fake babas’ which included Ram Rahim’s name. The aviation ministry struck out his name form the list of dignitaries who were allowed to use reserved lounges at airports. His life of respect, power and fame is now burnt to ashes.
4) A jail inmate told the media that the prisoners at Rohtak’s Sunaira jail might kill Ram Rahim if he is left alone without security. This jail inmate is currently out on bail.
5) In the extensive search operations carried out at the ‘ashram’ of Dera, the authorities found unlabelled medicines, plastic coins, discontinued currency, a luxury car, a secret tunnel leading to the chief’s room from the room of the sadhvis and some hard drives. Even skeletons and an illegal explosives factory were found! What was Ram Rahim doing inside the ashram? With such revelations, the Dera lost many followers but many chose to kill and get killed for him!
What turns will this case take further?