Former Governor Of Bihar and lawyer, Ram Nath Kovind is the 14th President elect, winning with a huge margin.
Samyak Sheth & Heer Khant
The NDA-backed Presidential candidate, Ram Nath Kovind has won over two-thirds of votes cast by an electoral college of MPs and lawmakers. He secured 65.65% of votes, getting 7,02,044 votes value while Meira’s votes have a value of 3,67,314 in the electoral college. The total vote value of the votes is 10,98,903.
Ram Nath Kovind was nominated by BJP- led National Democratic alliance. A total number of 4,896 people cast their vote on Monday to choose between two Presidential candidates. Out of the 4896, 4120 were MLAs and 776 were MPs.
Kovind has won very easily without any barriers from the opposition candidate Meira Kumar, who is a former Lok Sabha Speaker and was backed by a 17 member-bloc of opposition parties.
This poll saw the highest ever number of voter turnout that stood at 99%. The polling was held simultaneously at 32 polling points.
Celebrations are in full swing in Kanpur, near Kovind’s home who had an easy win.
Kovind will be sworn in as the 14th President of India at July 25. He is 71 years old.
He will be the first person from RSS and from Uttar Pradesh to occupy a seat at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Here are 10 points you need to know about him:
1. Ram Nath Kovind is currently the Governor Bihar and has been in this position for three years since August 8, 2015.
2. Kovind belongs to the Dalit community.
3. He was born on October 1, 1945 in Kanpur.
4. He is the former president of BJP’s scheduled castes morcha.
5. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh in April 1994. He served two consecutive terms for 12 years till March 2006.
6. He represented India at the United Nations in New York 2002 and addressed the United Nation’s General Assembly.
7. He was an advocate for the Central Government at Delhi High Court from 1977-1979. He was the Central Government’s Standing Counsel in Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993. He practiced in Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for 16 years until 1993.
8. During his tenure in the Rajya Sabha he pressed the need for basic infrastructure for education in rural areas and aided in the construction of school buildings in Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand under MPLAD (Member of Parliament Local Area Development) Scheme.
9. He has served as the member of various Parliamentary Committees like Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment etc.
10. He was a member of the Board of Management of Dr. B.R Ambedkar University in Lucknow and a member of the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata.
Quick Fact: Neelam Sanjiva Reddy was the only President of India who was appointed without contest.