On Nehru Jayanti today, we bring you some lesser known facts about Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. He was the first Prime Minister of India and played a key role in the Indian independence struggle.
These 7 interesting facts about him are must read:
1. Jawaharlal Nehru did not go to school until the age of 15. He was home-schooled by his father, Motilal Nehru.
2. Although Nehru studied Natural Science and graduated in that stream from Trinity College, Cambridge, he came back to India to practice as a barrister in Allahabad High Court.
3. His grandfather, Gangadhar Pandit was the last Kotwal of Delhi. ‘Kotwal’ was the titled used to refer to the leader of a ‘kot’ or fort. Kotwals usally controlled an area on behalf of the ruler.
4. His autobiography ‘Toward Freedom’ was penned by him while he was in prison in 1935. He authored several other books.
5. Historians say that there were four attempts to murder Nehru. In 1947, during the partition, in 1955 by a rickshaw puller and other two in 1956 and 1961.
6. He was very fond of smoking. ‘555’ is said to be his favourite brand. There are various pictures of Nehru where he is seen smoking.
7. On May 27, 1964 when Nehru died, over 1.5 million people had gathered for his cremation. It is said that he died to due to a massive heart attack.
Jawaharlal Nehru’s famous speech ‘Tryst With Destiny’ is read even today and applauded. It was delivered on the midnight of 14-15 August, 1947:
“At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom…”