Stephen Hawking passed away today at the age of 76. This man was not only a famous scientist but also an inspiration for a lot of people. Hawking who is responsible for his scientific works like ‘gravitational singularity theorems’ and ‘Hawking radiation’, suffered from slow-progressing form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). ALS paralysed him over time but even then he fought on.
His famous book – A Brief History Of Time was a super hit and stayed on the New York Times’ bestselling list for 237 weeks.
“He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years,” the family statement said, according to The Guardian. “His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world. He once said, ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him for ever.”
Today as we remember him and his contributions, here are some of the most amazing quotes from the scientist that will stand the test of time:
1. Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.
2. “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”
3. “People won’t have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.”
4. “We are all now connected by the Internet, like neurons in a giant brain.”
5. “My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit as well as physically.”
6. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”
7. “I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth.”
8. “Science is not only a disciple of reason but, also, one of romance and passion.”
9. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.”
10. “We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.”
Rest in science, Stephen Hawking.
Preview Photo: boingboing.net