In the first part of this series we read mind-blowing facts about Indian royal families. You can read the first part here.
The rajas and ranis of India lived a very lavish life – a life that most people today cannot even imagine. Here are 7 more facts about the royal families of India that will make you feel even poorer:
1. The Maharaja of Kapurthala fell in love with Anita Delgado, a Spanish dancer. She rejected his proposals many times before finally agreeing to meet him. In 1908, they got married.
2. Heard about the famous Cartier necklace? Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala wore this necklace that had 2390 diamonds. Recently, this super-expensive necklace was sold for around 3 million dollars!
3. It is said that the royal women in the Mughal palaces changed their garments several times a day and would never repeat them! What happened to those expensive garments they wore? They were given away to their dasis or servants.
4. The gate of Lalbagh palace in Indore was made in London and then shipped all the way to India – which was extremely expensive and time-consuming in the ancient days.
5. The famous Prince Asoka is known to have killed his 99 brothers – sparing only one – Tissa – who was made his deputy king. This is how he got the name of ‘Chandal Asoka’.
6. Did you know that the famous Kung Fu practice was actually started by an Indian prince of the Pallava dynasty named Bodhidharma? This began after he went to China and began training Shaolin monks.
7. It is not a very known fact that Dr. Rajendra Prasad, who was the first president of India travelled in the silver chariot of Maharaja of Patiala while entering the Rashtrapati Bhavan!
If you liked this article, don’t forget to share it!